Wednesday 23 September 2009

André Michelle

André Michelle is a Flash developer whose cool retro-looking website is full of projects that as far as I can see, he has developed for his own purposes. He is really pushing the boundaries of what Flash can do, often working within the audio-visual domain. He has created adjustable flangers, adjustable EQs, a scratchable record and a host of other mind boggling audio flash toys.

My favourite is the Tonematix.



Each square on the horizontal axis represents a beat in time, while the squares on the vertical axis vary in pitch. Just select and highlight a selection of squares and listen to your creation. You can work out a musical composition or literally hear a pattern but as the tonematrix uses a pentatonic scale, it always sounds great.

It seems Mr Michelle is well respected within his field too - he was a guest speaker at this years 'Flash On The Beach'. I urge you to go and have a look round his site and play with his inventions, the only downside is how long you could spend there.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! There's an ipod app for it which my aunt showed me a month or two ago. I'd download it, but I'd be afraid I'd spend too much time on it. Since the tunes are your creations, it'd be interesting if you could record them and perhaps use them in projects...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just me who's addicted then! I'd not heard about the iPhone app but I can imagine it working really well with the touch screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the touch screen makes accuracy a little difficult, but you can get little pens for it now- that's what my aunt used and it makes it so much easier.
    Just realised you can record your creations by using the audiotool advertised beneath it!

    ReplyDelete