Wednesday 7 October 2009

Antoni Gaudí

In the past three years, I have ended up in Barcelona three times – twice this summer. You can't be a tourist in this amazing city without becoming aware of the architecture of Antoni Gaudí. The impact that this one man had on the city can't be underestimated.


His huge church Segrada Família was started in 1883 and is projected to be finished in 2026 which gives you an idea of its size. Gaudí dedicated the last 15 years of his life to the project.

I love the Art Nouveau look of the facade of Casa Batlló as well as the amazing chimney sculptures.


Another of my favourite Gaudí works is Parc Guell located toward the north of the city.


I love the fluid forms that Gaudí uses and the effect of the broken ceramic that is often used to clad his work. Gaudi died in 1926 when he was hit by a tram. Barcelona subsequently removed trams from its streets.

Gaudí's work has become a symbol of Barcelona, Catalunya and the whole of Spain.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Gaudi - How I love his work! Barcelona is such an inspirational city - I did my A level art project based on Gaudis work and made these 6ft sculptures by pouring plaster into pairs of tights hanging from the ceiling! Good messy fun!

    ReplyDelete