Monday 6 July 2009

The Greengrocers At Converse Don't Polish Their Apples



I really liked this advert for Converse All-Star trainers. It's just really simple - someone wearing the shoes at a music festival. It's almost as if they're just showing us the type of person and the setting that they see their trainers being in. Converse All Stars and rock music have got a history together - from John Travolta in Grease to Kurt Cobain - and the company are playing on this fact.

I think it's really intersting that the trainers in the shot are dirty. We all know Cons look better after a bit of wear and it looks like Converse now know it too. I've been trying to think of other situations in which the product in an advert would be worn or used and I'm struggling. In a world where images are so often CGI or retouched to death I like the fact that this is going the opposite way.

The advert manages to convey so much and all without words - it's universal enough to work in any country. I think it's a good piece of work.

2 comments:

  1. It reminds me of those cringing inspirational adverts with some bloke climbing everest with "determination" written underneath. That's not a negative, I think Converse have used the simplicity to great effect.

    I suppose Land Rover and other 4x4 makes show their cars all dirty and used up to demontrate how they can rough it. Great ad (although that crowd does look pretty empty!? Must be an irish rock gig!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you're right about 4x4s - I knew they'd be others, just couldn't think of them.

    ReplyDelete