Sunday 26 July 2009

BBC Radio Branding

I love to see a good, consistent brand. When the BBC brought the branding of their different radio stations into line a couple of years ago, I think they did a really good job (it was done in-house).

This is how they looked before: disparate and a little bit stuck in the 90s.



The new set uses the Radio 1 logo as a starting point and takes it from there. I love the cleaner, refreshed look, each logo clearly under the same umbrella brand but also managing to keep a character of its own. There are some clever little graphical elements that communicate the nature of each station too. I also love the font used for the numbers - though I'm having a hard time identifying it. 

If I had any criticism it would be that the concept for the Radio 3 logo is executed a little clumsily. I think that the Radio 7 logo is the weakest - I don't like the rounded corners of the 7 and the smile is quite hard to read.

Overall I think it's a really successful overhaul. The BBC can be a bit of a straight-laced organisation at times so these could have been a lot safer. Actually, the logos retain a lot of character while still clearly belonging to the same brand: no mean feat.



No comments:

Post a Comment